98-100 Yandilla Street, Pittsworth, QLD, 4356

pittsworth vet surgery phone details - Right Business Hours

07 4693 2233

pittsworth vet surgery emergency phone number right After Hours

0429 932 233

98-100 Yandilla Street, Pittsworth, QLD, 4356

pittsworth vet surgery phone details - Right Business Hours

07 4693 2233

pittsworth vet surgery emergency phone number right After Hours

0429 932 233

brown rat bait toxicity

During the cooler months we see more animals presenting to the clinic with Rat Bait Toxicity. As many are aware, baits designed to eradicate rodents have anticoagulants in them which essentially means they impair our pets ability to clot their blood. This means that a very small bleed anywhere in the body can turn into a life threatening problem.

 

How to minimise risk to your pet

While there is no such thing as a safe bait and ideally we would not recommend using them at all, here are a few tips to minimise your pets risk;

  • Use bait stations when dispensing baits and put the stations up off the ground away from pets
  • Pick up any dead rodents you see around the place to minimise the chance of dogs and cats eating them – dead rodents are enough to cause toxicity in dogs and cats
  • While no baits are “safe” to animals, try to pick baits that require multiple doses such as Bayer’s Racumin – this means that by the time the animal succumbs to the bait it has already metabolised a lot of the toxins leading to less effect on your dog or cat.
  • If you live in a rural area then it can be assumed that many grain and dairy farms have baits out so do not let your animals wander where possible.
  • Many grain farms will use mouse off to reduce their vermin problem. Mouse off is very different to every other mouse product and causes release of a phosphorous gas that can be poisonous to you too.  If mouse off is used where it is applied as waves and not daily, the mice eaten secondarily by other animals should not be a problem. However, if someone is putting mouse off out every day and the rodents are eating daily, this can cause secondary poisonings to animals. Animals can also eat the grain where this has been added. If you suspect your animal has eaten mouse off bait, DO NOT MAKE THEM VOMIT INSIDE – this can release poisonous gas to yourself. Unfortunately, most animals do not recover from this bait type.

 

What happens if your pet does consume a bait or dead rodent?

Bring them in immediately, because with rapid treatment we may be able to prevent the nasty effects of the bait from affecting the animal. We cannot stress this enough. Many people I hear from do not bring their pets in because they appeared fine in the first 24 hours so “they must be alright”.

Rat bait can take anywhere from 1-5 days AFTER ingestion to cause signs of toxicity, however if they have just ingested it we can cause the animal to vomit and avoid these effects.

 

What to look out for if you suspect your pet has rat bait toxicity:

  • Lethargy (weakness) and Depression
  • Loss of appetite
  • Pale gums
  • Bleeding on the gum-line
  • Nose Bleeds
  • Blood in the urine or stool
  • Small little bruises over its body
  • Vomiting

If you see any of these signs, or are suspicious that your pet has ingested a poisoned rodent or the bait itself we strongly recommend you give us a call.

RELATED ARTICLES

Protect your pet from parasites

Protect your pet from parasites

As the weather warms up, we start to see more parasite problems for all sorts of pets. Here are some of the more common parasites we come across, as well as some information on the problems they cause and how to get rid of them.   Fleas Fleas are relatively easy...

The Importance of Dental Care for Your Pet

The Importance of Dental Care for Your Pet

Did you know that 80% of dogs and 70% of cats over three years of age have some form of dental disease? Dental disease can not only be painful and uncomfortable for pets, but the procedure to clean and remove teeth becomes more complicated and often more costly to...

Urinary Blockages in Cats

Urinary Blockages in Cats

What is a urinary blockage?  Urinary blockages in cats are often referred to as ‘blocked bladders’ and ‘urethral obstructions’. This is a common, potentially life-threatening condition, especially amongst neutered male adult cats and overweight cats. A urinary...

Arthitis Awareness

Arthitis Awareness

Ouch! Do you ever experience sore joints on a chilly morning?Like humans, our furry best friends can experience aches and pains caused by arthritis. These pains can become more intense over the cooler months - let us teach you a little about this common condition, so...

RELATED
ARTICLES

Protect your pet from parasites

Protect your pet from parasites

As the weather warms up, we start to see more parasite problems for all sorts of pets. Here are some of the more common parasites we come across, as well as some information on the problems they cause and how to get rid of them.   Fleas Fleas are relatively easy...

The Importance of Dental Care for Your Pet

The Importance of Dental Care for Your Pet

Did you know that 80% of dogs and 70% of cats over three years of age have some form of dental disease? Dental disease can not only be painful and uncomfortable for pets, but the procedure to clean and remove teeth becomes more complicated and often more costly to...

Urinary Blockages in Cats

Urinary Blockages in Cats

What is a urinary blockage?  Urinary blockages in cats are often referred to as ‘blocked bladders’ and ‘urethral obstructions’. This is a common, potentially life-threatening condition, especially amongst neutered male adult cats and overweight cats. A urinary...

Arthitis Awareness

Arthitis Awareness

Ouch! Do you ever experience sore joints on a chilly morning?Like humans, our furry best friends can experience aches and pains caused by arthritis. These pains can become more intense over the cooler months - let us teach you a little about this common condition, so...

Call Us Today To Discuss Your Animal Needs

Business Hours Phone: 07 4693 2233